IBM Sr. Android Application Developer in ATLANTA, Georgia
Android Application Developer
A successful candidate for this position will be an active participant in the development of mobile applications for The Weather Company on the Android platform. The flagship application from The Weather Company is the most successful application in the consumer weather space, and is consistently ranked among the most popular in the Google Play Store and elsewhere.
The ideal applicant will be one who deeply enjoys writing great code. Independent work, such as an application developed on their own time, will be considered a plus. Those who can demonstrate that they have invested time studying the craft of software development beyond their university courses are especially valued.
Working well with others is a requirement for employment. Among other qualities, developers at The Weather Company are expected to respect others opinions, to act professionally at all times, and to be capable of admitting one’s own mistakes. A successful candidate should be both eager to learn from others, and anxious to share their own insights.
The candidate will be expected to develop high quality code and associated unit tests. Participation in code reviews will be expected. The Weather Channel has an international presence that requires each developer to pay attention to international standards and localization of resources.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• Experience with object oriented programming.
• Experience implementing Ads using DFP (Google’s) SDK.
• Familiarity with Eclipse, Android Studio or IntelliJ IDEA.
• Experience with standard debugging techniques such as logging and profiling.
• An understanding of the challenges related to mobile development – including battery and radio usage as well as CPU and memory constraints.
• Familiarity with common design patterns.
• Hands on experience using Android smart phones, tablets, and chromebooks.
Preferred Tech and Prof Experience
• Exposure to languages other than English.
• Experience working with Firebase, Google Mobile Ads SDK, or other related ad system.
• Experience with other App Stores within android ecosystem (Samsung, Amazon).
• Experience with television or digital video production and distribution.
• A background in meteorology.
• Experience in embedded/RTOS development projects.
• Experience with JavaME development.
• B.S. in a technology-related field or equivalent experience.
• Two years of experience in Android development or five years of Java.
• Knowledge of Kotlin (experience with writing android apps in Kotlin a plus).
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.