Southern Company BUSINESS ANALYST - Claims and Leave Management in Atlanta, Georgia
BUSINESS ANALYST - Claims and Leave Management
BUSINESS ANALYST – Claims and Leave Management
The purpose for this position is to utilize several databases to create and deliver quality, meaningful, and timely reports and analysis to Claims, Legal, and Leave Management to support a wide range of initiatives including cost reduction, best practice compliance, process improvement, benchmarking, and identifying trends in claims and leave management. This position will also perform System Administrator functions for Risk Master, the claims database; annual budget preparation; run existing and future extracts, downloads and uploads associated with claims processing. Additional duties associated with claims and leave management accounting, reporting and analysis as needed.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES BY COMPETENCY
• Highly proficient with reporting and analytic tools such as Business Objects.
• Strong skill sets pertaining to use of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• SQL experience.
• Understanding of budget process.
• Create visual presentation and reports (tables, charts, graphs, etc.) of KPI’s and other data.
• Proficient with pivot tables.
• Strong skill set in working with relational databases.
• Fulfill ad hoc data requests as necessary.
• Understanding of claims, legal, and disability management processes and work flows.
• Ability to prioritize and attend to critical details.
• Ability to trouble shoot issues quickly and find solutions in a timely manner.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Leverage industry trend and benchmark strategies to identify business improvement opportunities.
• Able to identify tasks and see through to completion with little or no supervision.
• Strong planning and organization skills to meet multiple deadlines and serve multiple internal clients.
• Ability to work with IT as needed to make changes to system or processes.
• Able to work with claims, legal, disability management and other internal clients to create requested reports.
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to promote ideas and work effectively with all levels within the organization.
• Self-motivated team player with an ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Takes pride in work product.
• Completes timely review of monthly claims department budgets to confirm accruals and determine any variances.
• Completes timely monthly reconciliation of claims payments.
• Responsible for running all required reports, interfaces and extracts.
• Responsible for timely filing mandatory federal and state reports.
• Provide thorough analysis of department data to drive metrics for continuous improvement of performance, productivity and optimization.
• Identify challenges and utilize data analytics to identify solutions.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Finance or Risk Management or similar field.
MBA or Masters in Computer Science, Risk Management or Finance.
Related Work Experience:
• 2-4 years’ experience with business intelligence applications such as Business Objects
• Knowledge of business processes and procedures
• Knowledge of business related systems
• 1-3 years of claim adjuster experience
• 4-6 years of financial and operational data analysis and budgeting experience
• Familiarity with Risk Master Excelerator, Serengeti Legal Tracker and Reed Group Leave Management System.
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Strong attention to detail
• Strong analytical skills/ability to solve problems
• Interpersonal skills
• Computer literacy – advanced proficiency
• Working knowledge of SharePoint, PeopleSoft, and other business related systems such as Reviewer, CC&B
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Keyboarding = Constant 95%
• Travel = Occasional 1-33%
• On-call = Occasional 1-33%
This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required in the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Southern Company Gas provides for the energy needs of millions of U.S. households and businesses. As the largest natural gas-only distribution company in the United States, with more than 150 years of history behind us, we're working to ensure that Americans have access to an abundant, safely delivered supply of natural gas for decades to come. We offer our customers a wide range of energy services under one umbrella: seven regulated utilities as well as non-regulated businesses that offer retail, wholesale and storage services.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its subsidiaries . The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric operating companies in four states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications . Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top energy companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Legal & Compliance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): No
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2001068